Paper jams are a common issue with copiers, including Ricoh models.
Here is a step-by-step guide to identify and remove paper jams in Ricoh copiers:
VIDEO: How to Identify and fix Ricoh Paper Jams
Identifying a Paper Jam on your Ricoh #
- Error Indicators: Check the copier’s display panel for error messages or indicators showing a paper jam.
- Location: Identify the location of the jam. The most common areas include:
- Paper trays
- Fuser unit
- Duplex unit
- Exit area
- Removing the Paper Jam
- Turn Off the Copier: Switch it off and unplug it to prevent electrical accidents while clearing the jam.
Accessing the Jammed Area: #
Open the appropriate panels and trays. Refer to the copier manual for specific instructions related to your model. Clear the paper path by carefully opening doors and trays. Some areas might have levers or buttons to release mechanisms holding the paper path.
Automatic Document Feeder #
Starting at the top of the Ricoh copier, open the doc feeder. Release the lever on the top. Typically, the jammed paper is sitting here. If it’s not open the entire feeder area and it should be sitting on the top. You will be able to pull it out.
Removing Jammed Paper: #
Gently pull the paper in the direction of the paper path. Try to avoid tearing the paper, which might leave remnants in the copier. Use both hands to pull the paper slowly and evenly. If the paper tears, make sure to remove all torn pieces.
Inspect for Remaining Paper: #
After removing the jammed paper, carefully check the entire paper path and components for any torn bits or remaining paper.
Open multipurpose tray and drawers #
Paper could be jammed in the actual paper trays. You will open the drawer and pull it out. Check for any paper.
Check the side feeder #
The bulk of your paper jams will be in the side feeder. Ricoh has clear components to see the paper path.
Close All Panels and Trays: #
Ensure all trays, doors, and access panels are securely closed before turning the copier back on.
Test the Ricoh Copier: #
Print a test page to ensure that the paper path is clear and the machine operates without errors.
- Refer to the Manual: Always consult the copier’s user manual for specific instructions on your model. It provides detailed information on accessing various components and clearing jams.
- Avoid Force: Be gentle when removing the jammed paper to prevent damage to the copier.
- Regular Maintenance: Perform regular maintenance such as cleaning rollers and paper paths to prevent paper jams.
If the Paper Jam Persists: #
Service Assistance: If you can’t remove the jam or if there’s a recurring issue, contact Ricoh customer service or a qualified technician for further assistance.
Remember, every copier model might have specific nuances in their mechanisms. Always follow the guidelines provided in the manual for your specific Ricoh copier model.